Monday, February 14, 2011

FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT!

Ah high school, you are characterized by many things; tests, bad food, cocroaches, insane teachers, but I think that the worst part of high school is the fights. Today during my lunch period, I was walking towards my seat, and I look around to find two girls, (one was possibly a teacher), beating the crap out of each other. Within seconds the entire caferteria is swarmed in a circle around the two fighters. People are standing on their chairs and straining their necks to try and get a good veiw of the spectacle. As I watched the crowd mezmorized by the sight of violence, I felt sick to my stomach. What kind of people had we become? The kind that break into fights and try to kill another human being, over what? A snarky comment? A boy? What is it that could push someone over the edge like that? And, what does that say about our society and how children are being raised nowadays that they can't even express themselves through words or other means of communication? It's not only that people have to desire in them to want to hurt another person so badly that bothers me, it's how everyone else reacts. All day long from that point on, all most people were saying was "Hey, did you see the fight in the cafeteria? Wasn't it awsome?" I don't understand how someone can get enjoyment out of seeing two people, filled with so much fury, ruin their reputations in front of everyone like that. It makes me so upset to see people having to resort to such violent methods of communtication like that. The fight was over in about two minutes, it was broken up by a gym teacher and the burly, new assistant principal. The caferteria was all abuzz with the news. Students were still standing on their chairs, trying to catch a last glimpse of the girls as they were ushered out of the cafeteria. I walked over to the lunch line and bought a bottle of water. I wasn't much in the mood to eat. I watched some of my friends from a distance as they reinacted to fight for the enjoyment of the few who hadn't had the pleasure of seeing it in person. It just seems wrong to me, that people get so much much enjoyment out of other people's pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment